Cristina (formerly) Blomberg's Blog

Visual Logorrhea

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

The Warmth of the Sun

I'm an "island girl". My father is filipino; my maternal grandfather was Chamorro (from Guam); I've lived on Oahu, HI and Taiwan (both islands); I've visited Japan, Vancouver Island, and Ibiza, Spain (all islands); and I look good sitting on the seashore (if I do say so myself!). Even when I'm land-locked on my deck in the backyard, I love the feeling of the sun on my skin.

I know it's not healthy to get too much exposure, and to be honest, right now I'm sitting out in jeans and a long-sleeved thin cotton shirt. With my darker complexion, I've had very few sunburns, and I always wear a thin layer of sunscreen under my make-up (I have acne scars that really need the sunscreen daily, but that's another blog post entirely!). But I can still feel it... the late afternoon springtime sun sending UV kisses that pour over me like sitting in a warm bath at the end of a hard day. It's gorgeous out here right now!

My husky, Kodi, loves the sun. He's sunbathing on the outdoor couch, one of his favorite places to spread out. I love to pet him whenever he comes inside from sunbathing... his fur is not only soft, but also warm. My other husky, Freki, is in the shade by the door. Freki's coat is much thicker than Kodi's, which probably accounts for the difference in lounging locales. But even my eskimo, Quinn is out here now. Not so much for the sun... Orin has started the grill and all the fur-babies know that there will be great scents in the air soon. If Orin is particularly sentimental, he'll "accidently" drop something on the deck and the wait will be worthwhile for them.

It's springtime and days like this are rare in the south. We usually only have 2 seasons: fall and summer. The sun is beating and there are no clouds, but there is hardly any humidity, about 72 degrees (fahrenheit) and the occassional breeze is enough to keep me comfortable. By southern standards, this is a very good spring day.

So let's see... the purpose of this post? It is to remind myself at a later time, when life gets all harried and the humidity unbearable, that life is good. Your situation and weather may be different, but I hope that you're having as great a time as I am. And if not, then I'm sure there is at least once that you have felt just as good.

As the Beach Boys once sang... "'cuz I've got the warmth of the sun... it won't ever die..." and I will try to keep this feeling with me and recall it when I need it the most.

Excuse me while I log off now and go enjoy this day- unplugged- with my family.

Thanks for reading!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home